Temporary Residents in Canada

When To EXTEND Your Visa and/or RESTORE Your Status in Canada

This article is designed to inform you what you should know about your Canadian Temporary Visa, when to EXTEND your visa and/or when to apply to RESTORE your status in Canada.

Temporary Residents in Canada include: Visitors, Foreign Students & Temporary Workers.

NOTE: Every foreign resident in Canada (visitor, student or temporary worker) has a limited time to be in Canada according to the immigration law. It is your responsibility as a temporary resident visa holder to understand how long you are authorized to stay within Canada; when to extend and/or restore your visas, if applicable.

This article will focus on foreign students

Advantages of Studying in Canada

Do you know that as a Canadian student on valid study permit, you may be eligible to apply for the following visas?

  • Open Work Permit for Your Spouse and Common-law Partner;
  • Temporary Resident Visas for Your Dependent Children;
  • Post-graduation Work Permit (8 months or 3 years);
  • Permanent Residence Visa; and
  • Canadian Citizenship

Extending Your Study Permit

WHY should you extend your study permit?

  • To maintain valid temporary resident status;
  • To qualify for post-graduation work permit;
  • To be eligible for permanent residence through the Canadian Experience Class.

WHEN should you extend your permit?

  • 30 days prior to expiration.

Consequences of Living in Canada with EXPIRED Visa/Status.

  • When you visa expires, you are illegal in Canada
  • Must restore your status before you can extend your permit/visa
  • Must submit application to restore your status within 90 days of visa expiration;
  • Could face deportation;
  • Bad immigration records;
  • May have difficulties obtaining Canadian visas and/or visas to other countries in the future.

Please contact us today for more information and assistance.

Leave A Reply